Thursday, May 5, 2011

Balancing Chaos


Last night I received the first round of edits from my editor in LA. My book BACK ON THE COURT, is to be published this fall by Tigress Pubishing and the process is underway. Am I scared? Hell yes! Excited and scared. This book writing thing has been a long process, with life mixed in. But isn't that what life is all about? Figuring out how to blend it all. How to sit down and read 250 pages of edit work when you've got in-laws in town, a birthday to prepare for, tax information to search for (had to file for and extension this year), a team fundraiser to organize, kids baseball & softball games to attend and well, basically just...a life to live.

You all know of the chaos of which I'm speaking. Does finding balance mean that life is slow and void of chaos? Maybe not, though it would be nice at times. Maybe it's understanding that to live a balanced life you can have a lot going on, it's just figuring out how to do it in a way in which you are happy. For some that means scaling back for others it's having a new mind set.

Perhaps tonight I will have to skip my basketball game and hunker down with a cup of tea and my edits. Or maybe go to my game and skip watching The Mentalist with my husband, our Thursday night "date night". Or try to do it all. Which ever I decide, what is important is that I feel good about the descision. Sorry Honey, I'll catch you next Thursday. :)

Check out www.heartwriter.wordpress.com for more thoughts on balance

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said. I am grateful to add balance to my writing life by sitting down with you every Thursday for an hour or so. We don't just fit it in, we create that space don't we? Thank you for your words and for writing with me every week. So excited about your book soon to be published!!!

Shannon McKelden said...

Wait! Your book is being published??!! OMG! I'm so excited for you and can't believe you didn't tell me. I'm so proud of you and all the work you've put into this over the years! I can't wait to see the finished product!

Laura Douglas said...

I think we are all in the same boat; we just have different waves tossing us around. I have a magnet on my fridge that I LOVE and re-read almost every day. I love quotes because there are those writers, like yourself, that that can say things so succinctly. I thought I'd share what gets me through the day:

peace.
it does not mean to be in a place
where there is no noise, trouble
or hard work. it means to be in
the midst of those things and still
be calm in your heart
-unknown

Looking forward to your book signing!
~Laura

Sonya said...

Ah, yes Laura. I love that poem! It's on my mug so I too can have inspiration though out the day. I hope to see you soon.
Sonya